have an educational background in civil and environmental engineering at Masters level, plus an additional MSc in Sanitation which was obtained with thanks to a scholarship.
I have over two years of professional experience as an engineer in a major international design consultancy, where I worked on a range of water related projects. Projects included flood risk assessments, river restoration, drainage design and flood alleviation schemes.
MSc Sanitation, IHE Delft – Final Grade: 8.2, October 2020 – October 2021
Graduated with a Masters from IHE Delft Institute for Water Education, with thanks to a Rotary Global Grant Scholarship. The MSc in Sanitation was developed in partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and delivered by the world’s top experts from both academia and practice. The course has a focus on onsite sanitation in low- and middle-income countries, looking at the whole sanitation service chain. The teaching has also covered wider skills through the lens of the WASH sector, with modules covering public health, governance, finance and project management. My thesis research looked at the distribution of roles and responsibilities in sanitation governance and policy in Malawi.
MEng Civil Engineering with Environmental Eng., Newcastle University – 1st Class Honours, September 2014 – July 2018
This integrated Masters and Bachelors course involved modules in varying disciplines of civil engineering, including geotechnical design, design of building systems, hydrosystems engineering and computational engineering analysis. Group projects made up a significant proportion of the degree, aiding the development of skills that are of benefit working in multidisciplinary environments. The final year specialised in Environmental Engineering.
• Dissertation Topic: Waterborne Sanitation in Refugee Populations – 1st class mark awarded
• Top of the class in the Environmental Engineering for Developing Countries module.
• Awarded the Cassie Environmental Engineering Prize for Best Stage 4 Student in Civil Engineering.
Analysis of Sanitation Flows
Undergraduate MEng – various courses over the 4 years covering: Environmental systems, geotechnics, structural engineering/mechanics, materials, fluid mechanics/hydraulics, engineering surveying, Geographic Information Systems, mathematics, Design of Sustainable Engineering Systems, statistics, water treatment, transport infrastructure design, construction/project management, ethics and sustainability, Computational Engineering Analysis, public policy, global engineering, solid waste management, Environmental Engineering for Developing Countries, Air Pollution, Contaminated Land as well individual investigative research.
Civil Engineer (Water), August 2018 – November 2020
Began work as a graduate engineer in 2018, after having completed a work placement in summer 2017, in the Water team. The role involved working with a multidisciplinary team on infrastructure projects of various sizes. Main themes and roles include:
• Reservoir Safety: Dam breach and cascade failure analysis, using an excel based model. Reservoir flood modelling, interpretation of CFD results and optioneering of possible solutions.
• Flood resilience: Independent post-event flood review, involving stakeholder engagement at many levels and recommendation development. Emergency incident response inspections for major flood event. Flood alleviation scheme design, interpretation of modelling results and bridge buoyancy calculations. Flood risk assessments for rail projects.
• Drainage: Heavy involvement in various elements of drainage design for High Speed 2, from high-level design to detailed network modelling, for both track and wider surface water drainage.
• River restoration: Working with ecologists and hydrogeomorphologists to design river restoration and wetland creation projects, developed concept design into detailed design. Engineering design advice provided for various elements of the water environment, such as ecological ponds and river culverting. Consultation with the Environment Agency and Local Authorities.
• Health & Safety (H&S): Developed a Project H&S Close Out Audit check sheet and audited four projects for regional water company.
• General: Document control and issuing, bid proposals, budget development and input into project risk registers.
• Outside of projects: Facilitating fundraising and workshops for RedR, organising ‘Missing Maps’ sessions, taking part in organised environmental debates, undertaking engineering outreach programmes in local schools, reviewing university Engineers Without Borders reports, amongst others.
My experience with automation has mainly been through the use of flood modelling software (such as FloodModeller/ISIS), which involved editing code in basic Notebook form. I have also unsertaken various automation training, such as the Code Institute’s 5 Day Coding Challenge.
Dutch spoken and written: Beginner
English spoken and written: Native language
Vul onderstaand formulier in en we brengen jullie met elkaar in contact.